What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are a restoration used to improve your tooth’s strength, function, shape, and appearance. Dental crowns are most often used for teeth that are broken, worn, or have portions destroyed by tooth decay.
Porcelain crowns are “caps” cemented onto an existing tooth which fully cover the portion of your tooth above the gum line. In effect, the tooth crown becomes your tooth’s new outer surface.
How Do Crowns for Teeth Work?
Dental crowns can be made of porcelain, metal, or both. Depending on the location of your tooth, we can recommend the best tooth crown options based on the goals you have for your dental health and appearance of your smile.
Your tooth crown is created in a lab from your unique tooth impression, which allows a dental laboratory technician to examine all aspects of your bite and jaw movements. Your tooth crown is then sculpted just for you so that your bite and jaw movements function normally once the tooth crown is placed.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Crowns?
- Durable – Porcelain crowns are sturdy, durable, and long-lasting.
- Natural Appearance – Dental crowns look just like a natural tooth. They are custom-made to fit your smile and are color-matched, so they don’t look fake or like an “odd” tooth in your smile.
- Comfortable – Porcelain crowns feel just like your natural tooth and give your mouth that full feeling.
- Functional – Dental crowns function just like your natural teeth, so you can chew and eat like you usually do.
- Versatile – Porcelain crowns can be used to connect and secure dental bridges. They can also be used to complete the root canal procedure to protect your tooth from a recurring infection.
- Restores Damaged or Missing Teeth – Using a dental crown, we can restore and enhance the shape of your tooth after it has become damaged. Dental crowns also top dental implants to give you a “new” tooth where a tooth was missing. Dental implants are a small titanium tooth root replacement — a true dental marvel that can restore your smile when you have a missing tooth or a tooth that is damaged and needs to be removed.
Let The Carrollton Dentist Crown Your Smile!
Tooth crowns can dramatically improve the look of your smile and your bite function. If you want more information about dental crowns or would like to schedule an appointment, simply call today!