Guard Against Cancer of the Mouth
Most of our family dentistry patients are surprised to discover that oral cancer is diagnosed in over 30,000 people each year in the United States and that half of those diagnosed with mouth cancer die within 5 years. Mouth cancer is more prevalent than many other types of cancer that receive more attention in the media and in medicine.
Oral cancer’s biggest threat is that it is not detected early enough. We educate patients about mouth cancer not to scare them, but to make sure they are informed, so they can have excellent oral health.
Oral Cancer Screening Procedures
In the past, a traditional oral cancer screening consisted of looking at and feeling the tissue in and around the mouth. Modern technology, however, has given us an even better way to detect cancer of the mouth in its earliest stages with a more modern oral cancer screening method, using up-to-date oral cancer screening procedures.
In addition to the traditional oral cancer screening, we recommend each of our patients have a Velscope® oral cancer screening exam done each year. The Velscope exam consists of an oral rinse and a specialized light that helps identify any abnormalities in the tissue in your mouth, which may or may not be mouth cancer.
Velscope helps identify oral cancer at its earliest stages, which can mean the difference between life and death.
Mouth Cancer Symptoms
These symptoms do not mean you necessarily have mouth cancer, but it is a good idea to schedule a oral cancer screening as soon as possible if you notice:
- Sores that aren’t healing quickly or at all.
- A lump on the skin or lining of your mouth that is thickening.
- A white or reddish patch on the inside of your mouth.
- Loose teeth that have hadn’t had an obvious injury, such as a sports injury.
- Your dentures have stopped fitting properly.
- Pain in your tongue or jaw.
- Difficult or painful chewing or swallowing that isn’t associated with the flu, a sore throat, or strep throat.
- Sore throat that has no other flu-like symptoms, such as a runny nose.
- Feeling like something is caught in your throat, even if you haven’t recently eaten.
Make sure to have a Velscope oral cancer screening done each year to make sure you do not have mouth cancer and to ensure you have the best dental health you possibly can.
Protect Your Health With an Oral Cancer Screening in Carrollton!
We want to protect your health with one of these simple screenings. Call today!