Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss in the United States. But it is a preventable disease, and also treatable, at The Carrollton Dentist in Carrollton TX.
Here’s some simple ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Brush your teeth for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with fluoridated toothpaste. Be sure to brush along the gumline. Don’t brush too hard, but be thorough.
- Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. Don’t like to floss? Try a floss holder, which makes it much simpler to insert floss between teeth.
- Although not a substitute for brushing and flossing, using a mouth rinse can prevent plaque accumulation and keep your enamel strong. Remember that fluoride mouth rinses are not the same as mouthwashes. Mouthwashes have alcohol and are designed to freshen breath.
- Eat a healthy diet. Starchy and sugary foods increase plaque. A sensible diet provides the nutrients necessary (Vitamins A and C, in particular) to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Don’t smoke, or use smokeless tobacco, which may bring about advanced gum disease or oral cancer. That includes e-cigarettes.
- Be aware that certain medications can also threaten a healthy smile. These include oral contraceptives, antidepressants and heart medicines.
- Exercise preventive care and schedule regular evaluations — the best way to detect early signs of gum disease and make a plan to reverse it.
- Talk to your us about dental health topics such as old, broken fillings or crowded teeth.
- If you grind your teeth, ask us about ways to protect them.
Prevention is always the best medicine, so brush and floss your teeth twice a day. We also like to see you for regular checkups at The Carrollton Dentist in Carrollton TX. We treat gum disease, and have complete general and family dentistry services. Schedule an appointment with us today!
Contact The Carrollton Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
2440 N Josey Ln Ste 101