Periodontal disease, commonly called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It’s also treatable at The Carrollton Dentist.
This condition is so omnipresent in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the ADA.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, it is critical to see your dentist regularly. That way we can identify and treat any issues before they get serious.
Contact The Carrollton Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):