Our teeth are alive. Yours are, too. But it’s easy to forget that fact, and take teeth for granted. At The Carrollton Dentist, we never take teeth for granted – but then, as dental professionals we understand better than most just how amazing teeth can be.
We’re using this blog post to share fifteen of the more interesting facts about teeth.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription drugs can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated cavities.
- Heartburn can be damaging for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as adverse for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab.
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit us regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
At The Carrollton Dentist in Carrollton TX, we want all of our patients to have clean and healthy teeth, along with beautiful smiles. Our services include general and restorative dentistry. Schedule your next cleaning and checkup with us today!
Contact The Carrollton Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):